NUI Maynooth

In 1795 Grattan's Parliament passed an Act which created an academy "for the better education of persons professing the popish or Roman Catholic religion". The new College, under the influence of the Duke of Leinster was to be founded in Maynooth and in time it became not only Ireland's national seminary, but also the largest seminary in the world.

In 1896 St Patrick's College Maynooth attained the status of a Pontifical University for its courses in Theology, Philosophy and Canon Law. Following the foundation of The National University of Ireland, Maynooth became a Recognised College of that federal structure in 1910. In 1966 St Patrick's College opened its doors to lay students and its population grew rapidly over the next three decades.

Following two centuries of internationally renowned scholarly activity on the Maynooth campus the National University of Ireland, Maynooth was established under the 1997 Universities Act as an autonomous member of the federal structure known as the National University of Ireland. With approximately 8,400 registered students, NUI Maynooth has 26 academic Departments which are organized into three Faculties: Arts, Celtic Studies and Philosophy; Science and Engineering, and Social Sciences.

Building on a tradition of scholarship and excellence in all aspects of its Teaching and Learning, and research activities, within the liberal arts and sciences tradition NUI Maynooth is committed to being a first class research-led centre of learning and academic discovery. It is located on a pleasant university campus in Ireland's only university town 20km west of Dublin, and has recently undergone a major phase of expansion in research, teaching and service facilities. The spacious campus is laid out in its own extensive grounds in rural surroundings, and is divided between an older complex of fine nineteenth century buildings and a modern complex of teaching, research, accommodation, and support facilities.

&nbps;
&nbps;